About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sun Jul 16 16:57:54 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> Model is KNE110TX
> which has an instruction sheet for Linux installation.

> There are 4 led indicators on the back of the ethernet adapter card, 3
> of which are lighted when the CAT-5 cable is plugged in.

What are the letters (if any) next to each of the lights?

Examples include: Tx, Rx, Link, Powd/Pwr, Col/Collision

Also, when you ping (or try to ping) the ip address assigned to the Linux
box, does at least one of the lights on the ethernet card light up? (Rx?)

> > http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

> When it ran  I saw displayed a "node address" similar to the MAC you described
> earlier.
> 00-C0-F0-5B-10-5D

Yes, this is another name for MAC/NIC/Hardware/ Ethernet address...

If the card has blinking lights, and the dos program can talk with it, at
least we have progress, and it is unlikely that we have a bad physical
link or card.

After running through the installations procedure, could you do a dump of
the following as root to this list: (Sorry to ask again)

(Just to be explicit, the "#" character are to signify a root shell
prompt, and are notr to be typed in as part of the command. You probably
know this. I am just trying to be explicit.)

# ifconfig eth0

If it still gives an error, then we still need to look at the modules.

Could you then give us the output of the following command:

# lsmod

Also output the following two commands here:

# cat /proc/interrupts
# cat /proc/ioports

# uname -a

> I am not committed to the Kingston card just because it was free (left
> at my house by DSL installers).  I am perfectly willing to purchase a
> known successful ethernet card.  I have heard that one must check a
> graphic card carefully since Linux must have a driver for a variety of
> manufacturers, and in the graphics arena, new drivers are being written
> constantly.

It would be nice to use the Kingston card since you have it. There are
others that probably have this working with linux too.

When you run the DOS utility, does it tell you what IRQ and io port are in
use by the card? Could you report these here too?

With that utility, are you able to tell the card to not auto-detect media
and speed? If so, tell it to use 10BaseT  (10 Megabits per second with
RJ-45 modular jack connector) (This is just for testing. Once you have it
working, then you can try faster speeds, or re-enable auto-detection.)

Is this your topology?

                                         Linux Box

DSL/PPP/Internet Access <==> Linksys <==> HUB <==> iMac
ISDN/T1/DS?                   Router       |
                                      Other Mac

(Just want to make sure.)

I the basic assumptions are correct, we are still hovering around
driver/modules. It may just mean the removal of the modual, and
re-insertion with the proper arguements/names set.