About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sun Jul 16 11:27:53 PDT 2000

First, appologies to E Frank Ball as I changed the order of his name to
Frank E Ball on accident in a previous e-mail.

Also, the files he mentioned are very likley the files you could edit by
hand and follow his directions if you card's interface was recognized
properly.

More comments below...

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
[chop]
> I did get an error
> "delying eth0 initialization"
> and some other stuff
> Something about /lib/something and "tulip" (the driver for my ethernet card
> from Kensington)
[chop]

I went to Kensington's web site but was unable to find reference to them
making ethernet cards. (Mostly a mouse company for Macs ;-)

Is it a Kingston? (If it is, I do the same thing. I'll make typos, or even
re-arrange word order when typing.)

Kingston EtherX KNT40T
Kingston EtherX KNE100TX

are stated to be supported. What model/version do you have? A different
one?

Also what kernel version do you have? (Sorry, I don't know what ships with
Red Hat 6.2.)

If you do not see a link light, you can look into some command line
options to append while inserting the module for it with modeprobe.

Some of these extra options/names are described here:

http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

and that is a tulip support page.

(I prefer the lilo method with the append and things like
ether=0,0,media-type,eth0 after I am certain of the arguements that are
needed, but I run mostly servers which almost never change. For a desktop
machine, you may want to change your media (10BT,100BT,AUI,10B2, etc)
often, or experiment.  This would suggest keeping the module method as
being better for you.)

That URL also offers links to a diagnostic program that may be helpful. (I
have never used it, so I can't comment.)

You may also look to Kingston for software to configure the card. I cannot
comment on the Kingston cards, but there were some problems with some
ethernet cards when they were set to use PnP (Plug and Play) mode to
configure IO/IRQ resources used. Explicit resource allocation seemed to
work more nicely in linux for some of these cards. ( A few evil, vile and
contemptable generic NE2000 cards come to my mind - yak!)

Also, as a related item to my previous questions...
Is your card PCI, ISA, etc? There are some ethernet interface devices that
are connected to the USB port...

(I have zero experience with USB and Linux right now. I only know what I
have read on the subject.)

If you happen to have any USB devices, you may want to look to using a
beta (pre-release) 2.4 series kernel. I believe that 2.4 looks to add
support for a lot of main-stream USB stuff. I would not suggest using this
kernel as a production server, but as a non-critical desktop machine it
might be fine. (This does require you to configure and compile a kernel.

If you have never compiled anything before, then this task will be more
time-consuming to master than a DHCP server.) None of the main-stream
distros (that I know of) presently offer a 2.4 series kernel. (It is that
new, and still is not in "final" 2.4.0 release.) The distro maintainers
are waiting like other people, for the bleeding edge users to find the
bugs and report them. Often (in the past) once the kernels got to
double-digits, they were stable enough for production use and kernel
release cycles happened less frequently.

Just some more information, and suggestions for directions in
troubleshooting.

More leads are better than no leads eh?

Thanks,
-ME