Timeservers wanted (fwd)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 25 10:53:00 PDT 2000

begin  Jeff Miller quotation:

> How local?  Here are some from a list by Thinking Man Software:
>
>  clock.llnl.gov       Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

This was a stratum 1 (primary) server, but is listed (in the NBS
listings) as "deleted".

>  wave.mbari.org       Monterey Bay Aquarium

This was also stratum 1, and is now listed as "discontinued service".

>  norad.arc.nasa.gov   Ames Research Center, Sunnyvale

Not listed.

>  clock.isc.org        Internet Software Consortium, Palo Alto

This is a stratum 1 server.

It's a really, really bad idea to synchronise off a stratum 1 server, from
multiple points of view.  For one thing, when the site's sysadmin (or
his script) figures out where the traffic come and verifies that you're
yet another person trying to grab a stratum-1 connection without
approval, he'll probably shut out your entire IP netblock.  Which will
then result in your net neighbours getting annoyed with you.

Use _secondary_ NTP servers (only) for ordinary time-sync purposes:  You
can afford a few milliseconds worth of error.  (If not, do your
time-sync by shortwave.)

More information:  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

Here are some net-wise local NTP servers from the stratum-two list.
Please note access policies:

27.  ns.scruz.net (165.227.1.1)
      Location: scruz-net, inc. Santa Cruz, CA USA
      Synchronization: NTP V3 secondary (stratum 2), BSD on Intel
      Service area: Western USA (MAE-West attached)
      Access policy: open access (scruz-net customers use both
      ns.scruz.net and nic.scruz.net, others please use one or the
      other, not both... please drop us a note if you're using the
      server so we can keep you on our status list) Contact: Matthew
      Kaufman (matthew at scruz.net)

47.  ntp.ucsd.edu (132.239.254.49)
      Location: UCSD Academic Computing Services/Network Operations, San
      Diego, CA
      Synchronization: NTP secondary (stratum 2)
      Service Area: CERFNET; NSFNET, SDSC region and nearby
      Access Policy: open access, please send a message to notify.
      Contact: timekeeper at ucsd.edu

62.  ntp1.mainecoon.com (63.192.96.2)
      Location: Quincy, California
      Geographic Coordinates: 39:56.863N, 120:54.657W
      Synchronization: NTP V4 secondary (stratum 2) P-II/X86 Solaris 2.7
      Service Area: North America
      Access Policy: Open Access, please drop us a note so we can add
      you to our mailing list.
      Contact:time at mainecoon.com or Chris Kennedy (chris at mainecoon.com)
      Note: ntp1 is a CNAME for time service. Please use DNS; IP
      assignments subject to change.

90.  tick.koalas.com (207.48.109.6)
      Location: Koala Computers, Coos Bay, OR
      Geographic Coordinates: 43.36N 124.19W
      Synchronization: NTP V3 Secondary (Stratum 2), PC/Linux
      Service Area: Northwestern U.S.
      Access Policy: open access
      Contact: ( webmaster at koalas.com )

96.  time.five-ten-sg.com (205.147.40.50)
      Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
      Synchronization: NTP V4 secondary (Stratum 2), Linux/intel
      Service Area: within 100ms of Digilink.net
      Access Policy: open access, email for firewall access first
      Contact: carl at five-ten-sg.com

102.  time.ultimeth.net (use DNS)
      Location: Mill Creek, Washington, USA
      Synchronization: NTP secondary (stratum 2), i486/Linux
      Service Area: Northwest USA
      Access Policy: Open access after reading our NTP usage notes.
      (http://www.ultimeth.net/NtpUsage/)
      Contact: timekeeper at ultimeth.net

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           Never ask a sysadmin "What's up?"