funky network queries.

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at email.com
Thu Apr 26 16:17:03 PDT 2001

If you install Samba on computer D#, it will be able to work as a Windows NT
server and A# should work just fine with it.  I use it on my home network to
share resources from my Linux computer to Windows systems (mostly VMWare
virtual machines).  Likewise, you ahould be able to set up A# to share files
with D# and any other Linux box that has Samba.

I'm sure that there is an easier way to set up B# and C# than this one, but
it will work:

The MP3's should be in a shared folder on A#.  Assuming you have Samba on B#
(or kernel support for SMB), you can mount the folder on B#'s fileystem at a
path like /music.  Then use telnet, rlogin, or ssh* to login to B# while on
C#, and once logged in, play the MP3 files.

If D# will only be sharing files from A#, set the appropriate folders on A#
as shared, then use Samba to mount the shared folders in D#'s web and ftp
directories.  Another way to go might be to store the shared resources on D#
and share them via Samba with A#, but Windows will probably make that much
more difficult than it needs to be.

If you don't want to use Microsoft (SMB) networking, check if Windows 2000
supports NFS or any other distributed filesystem for Linux.

* If your network is behind a firewall, you can probably use rlogin or
telnet safely.  Otherwise, use ssh.