RedHat 7.1 mini-review

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Apr 24 17:45:04 PDT 2001

} They've definitely revised the installer and actually had it make
} sense this time!  For once I actually think they've done a good job;

Agreed.  The package chooser is much better, and it gives you three
choices about installing packages needed for dependencies.

} After that is the standard installation of packages, make a boot disk,
} remove the CD and reboot.  Wait, where's the "where do you want to put
} the MBR?"  screen?  It appears to be missing

I got the where do you want the MBR choice.  It was on the same screen
as do you want a boot floppy.

} System comes up (I chose runlevel 5), log in and everything is kosher
} except for the hostname and domainname.  Weird, the installer shoulda
} done that -- I used the RedHat tool to redo the network real quick
} and.....it stops working right.  What?!?  Yup, I can't open any more
} term windows, run other apps.  Hrm, so I log out and....GDM doesn't come
} back up!  christ, what have they gotten me into.  A little futzing and a
} reboot, and now it came up fine again - my only guess is that the
} changing of hostname screws up the X display forwarding and leaves you
} in limbo.  Not pretty.

My installation quit (stopped, not hung) near the end of the install.  I
rebooted and it came back ok.  After I configured networking I couldn't
open any X apps either.  I just quit X and did another startx and things
were fine.  I never let the installer select runlevel 5.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com