Is Linksys wireless hardware Linux compatible?

Rob Flickenger rob at oreillynet.com
Mon Apr 23 21:18:23 PDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Paul Stagnoli wrote:

> The local paper carried an ad from Best Buy displaying Linksys wireless
> hardware.  The price for the adapter is $29.99 after rebates and the
> wireless card is $79.99 after rebates. I am curious to know if the PCI
> adapter and wireless cards are Linux compatible.

The WDT11 adapter isn't a real pcmcia bridge, and doesn't (currently) work
under Linux.  It reportedly does fine under windoze (although I wouldn't
know.  ;)

You might be able to get the pcmcia card going in an actual pcmcia bus (as
it reportedly uses the Prism2 chipset) but from what I understand it
doesn't go out of the box.  The newer Prism2 drivers are all still beta, as
far as I know.

The WPC11 card also doesn't have an external antenna connector...  =(

--Rob