Laptop Recommendations?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 10 15:41:41 PDT 2001

begin E Frank Ball quotation:

> If you are going to the trouble of doing a fresh install I'd spring for
> some newer install CDs.  Storm declared bankruptcy and will likely die
> off, so you won't be able to upgrade it.

That is (1) a non-sequitur, and (2) demonstrably untrue.

He needs only to revise his /etc/apt/sources.list to contain the
following:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

Then, he will be able to bring all installed packages up to the current
revisions of the Debian-stable track (as of any given date) by just typing

   apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

The Storm Technologies-originated enhancements such as Storm Package
Manager (or whatever it's called) should remain present and usable,
since Stormix has been highly compatible with Debian proper.

rick at linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.