XFree86 by remote

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at email.com
Mon Apr 2 21:56:39 PDT 2001

Here's my situation:
One computer, called OFFICEPRO, is a Pentium/166MHz with 80MB RAM
Another, called ODYSSEUS, is an Athlon 1GHz with 256MB RAM.  They are
connected by a 100BaseTX LAN.  Both are running Red Hat Linux 7.0.

I want to use VMWare to run Windows NT, Windows 98, and Linux without
dual-booting on both computers.  I have tried VMWare on both under the
evaluation license.  OFFICEPRO simply is not powerful enough to run it, but
ODYSSEUS runs it fine.  However, most of my family would like to use it on
OFFICEPRO.

Basically, I want to run VMWare in an on ODYSSEUS, but make it appear on
OFFICEPRO's monitor in either its own X session or within a local X session.
I'm pretty sure that this can be done, but I've never done it before and I
couldn't find any clear instructions on the XFree86 web site or in the man
pages.  Anyone know how to do this?