what to do when you've been rooted

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Jan 23 10:48:14 PST 2001

} begin  E Frank Ball quotation:
}
} > Absolutely.  Do you *NEED* to run a ftp daemon?
}
} Yes, I do.
}
} Show me a httpd that discloses special file attributes (notably symlink
} as opposed to hard link) and other file details -- and wake me up when
} all Linux distributions can do http installs in addition to ftp, and
} when small http clients capable of doing recursive gets ship on the
} general run of consumer operating systems.

thttpd from www.acme.com shows sym-links.  I'm not sure about your other
qualifications.

How many people on this list are trying to setup machines for remote
installs?  (I am, but that is on the company intranet, not the
internet).  The average joe seems to think that stuff shipped with
redhat/suse/turbo is secure and this just isn't the case.  I wan't to
point out as many alternatives to running a ftp deamon as I can.  For
the less sophisicated user running ftp is best avoided.

   E. Frank Ball        frankb at efball.com