still trying to fix install (fwd)

Mitch Petenaude mrp at sonic.net
Sun Jan 14 11:33:10 PST 2001

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:59:15PM -0800, Lorie Obal wrote:
> >    ls -l /dev/mouse
>
> I get /dev/mouse -> ttys3

That says the system is looking for the mouse on COM4.  Do you have
a COM4?  I'd move it to COM! if that's where you usally plug in the mouse.
There are sometimes problems when you try to use com2 (for the modem) and
com4 (for the mouse) simultaneously.  This comes from the fact that com2
and com4 share the same IRG (#3), and can sometimes confuse one another.

So, so move the mouse to com1, run these commands (as root)

cd /dev
rm mouse
ln -s ttyS0 mouse

And then connect you mouse to com1, and you should me good to go.
If you'd rather use com3, then replace ttyS0 with ttyS2. (I'm pretty
sure that the 'S's are supposed to be copitalised.  The lower case
versions are pseudo-ttys on my system, used for TCP/IP sessions.)

> The files lists MODEMPORT="dev/cua0"
>
> Which should be correct for dial out, right? I'am curious about the
> previous advice to remove /dev/mouse? Did you mean to "clean up" that
> reference beofre trying to configure it again?

well.. it should have a leading '/', and /dev/cua0 is com1, and you had
indicated previously that the modem is on COM2, which would be /dev/cua1
(actually just another name for /dev/ttyS1, for historical reasons
having to do with co-ordinating shared dial-in/dial-out modems).

You can edit the file directly, or you can use linuxconf to do all that
management.

If the modem is in fact on com1, then just fix the lack of a leading /,
and move the mouse to either com2 (/dev/ttyS1) or com4 (/dev/ttyS4).

Hope this helps,
   -- Mitch