still trying to fix install (fwd)

Lorie Obal lobal at cds1.net
Fri Jan 12 00:45:07 PST 2001

I've been trouble shooting a dead mouse since 6.2 upgrade (unfortunately
done after new board installed and I didn't test old version w/new board)

I've tried mouseconfig for coms 1,3,4 (I know the modem is on 2) and no
response in xwin.

I've run: startx 1>logfile.txt 2>&1  the output of that file referring to
the mouse shows Microsoft mouse /dev/mouse (yes, it is) with a warning:
"unable to get status of mouse I/O error" I also noticed that mouseconfig
did NOT probe the system for a mouse when I ran it.

I am also unable to dial up from that box with /sbin/ifup ppp0 (worked
before new upgrade & board OK).  I get:
tty_io.c: process 854(pppd) used obsolete /dev/eval -update software to
use /dev/ttyso/  and so on repeating with new process #'s on each try.

I've only configured Linux to supply basic services (Samba, NFS, and so
on) this type of troubleshooting is a bit beyond my experience with it.

-Lorie