finding cheap hardware for Linux?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Fri Jan 5 12:25:36 PST 2001

} Have you tried khttpd?  It is a kernel based web server that can hand of
} requests for non-existant files and/or cgi scripts to a user land web
} server.  You need to get 2.4.0 to use it, but it is extremely fast.
} We were using it in production about a month ago, using the test10 kernel,
} and had no problems with the khttpd portion of the kernel.

Sounds cool.  I suppose it can run without another server if you don't
want cgi?  I can keep myself amused writing obnoxious javascript
programs and move the security risk to the other guys machine.

} Another product I've used is publicfile from Dan Bernstein (author of
} qmail and djbdns), available from http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html.  It
} also features a ftp server that is largely broken.  The main benefit of
} publicfile is that it is designed for security.  It doesn't require that
} you use linux, so it would be a good choice if you can't for some reason.

I did look at this and it's a real pain in the ass to set up.  It seems
to have a string of dependecies that you have to get setup and running.
Documentation is weak.  Very alien concepts.  Never got it running.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com