Deja Vu all over again

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 29 22:19:01 PST 2001

ME wrote:

> I am going to assume that this has not yet been resolved and take a stab
> at it. If this was resolved, and I did not notice, then skip this and
> please accept my appologies.
>
> Could you reboot your Linux box and then as root could you go to a command
> prompt and run the following command, and then take the contents of the
> output for each and paste them into one e-mail message for review on the
> list:
>
> # ifconfig

eth0  Link encap: Ethernet HW addr 00:00:1C:56:C6:D1
        inet addr: 192.168.1.4  Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
         UP GROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
        Rx packets: 0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame :0
       Tx packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
        Interrupt:10 Base Address:0x2a0

lo     Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr: 127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 3924  Metric:1
        RX packets :14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns: 0 frame:0
        TX packets: 14 errors:0 dropped:0 overrruns:0 carrier: 0
        Colissions: 0 txqueuelen: 0

> # ifconfig eth0 same as above

> # route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination        Gateway        Genmask        Flags  Metric  Ref  Use Iface
192.168.1.0      0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0  U        0        0       0   eth0
127.0.0.0          0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0          U        0        0        0
lo
0.0.0.0            192.168.1.1  0.0.0.0              UG     0        0        0
eth0

> # cat /proc/interrupts

               CPU0
0:               304648            XT-PIC       timer
1:                      113           XT-PIC       keyboard
2:                        0             XT-PIC       cascade
4:                        6             XT-PIC       serial
8:                        1             XT-PIC       rtc
9:                        0             XT-PIC       usb-uhci
10:                      1             XT-PIC       NE2000
13:                      1             XT-PIC       FPU
14:               76601            XT-PIC       ide0
NMI:               0

> # cat /proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f: pic1
0040-005f: timer
0060-006f: keyboard
0070-007f: rtc
0080-008f:dma page reg
00a0-oobf:pic2
00c0-00df: dma2
00f0-00ff: fpu
01f0-01f7:ide0
02a0-02bf: ne2000
02f8-02ff:serial (auto)
03c0-03df:vga+
03f6-03f6: ide0
o3f8-03ff: serial(auto)
e000-e00f: ide1
e400-e413: usb-uhci

> # cat /resolve.conf

search earthlink.net
nameserver 207.217.126.01
nameserver 207.217.77.82
nameserver207.217.120.83

> # dselect

No such file or directory

> # lsmod

Module                             Size    Used by
lockd                                31176   1 (autoclean)
sunrpc                            52964     1(autoclean)[lockd]
ppp                                20236      0 (autoclean) (unused)
slhc                                4504       0(autoclean) [ppp]
ne                                    6732      1(autoclean)
8390                                6072     0(autoclean)[ne]
appgart                          18600     0(unused)
usb-uhci                        19052    0(unused)
usbcore                         42088    1[usb-uhci]

> It is ok to just copy and paste them "as-is" and not try to format them on
> your own.

Ihand transcribed them from the linux monitor to the mac.  Sorry about bad
format.

> *OR*
>
> If you can be sure there is no file in "/tmp" called "netstuff.txt" then
> you could append a ">> /tmp/netstuff.txt" to the end of each of the
> commands listed above and then "attach" the file "/tmp/netstuff.txt" to
> your e-mail message you send to the list.
>
> Also, could you take one of your working machines (macs I think you said
> you had) on your network that shares use of the router and go to the
> TCP/IP control panel and give me the following information that should be
> listed in that control panel of that mac:

the Mac LC 475 has the following in the "TCP/IP" control panel:

> IP Address      :192.168.1.2
> Subnet Mask     :  255.255.255.0

> Gateway/router  :192.168.1.1
> Domain Name Svrs: 207.217.126.81
>                                  207.217.77.82

                                     207.217.120.83

> Please also verify the network you have looks kind of like this:
> <!-- sorry about this html junk, I assume that the reason for the bad
> formatting of the previous messages was the use of a mail client by a
> sender that uses variable width fonts instead of fixed width fonts -->
>
> <pre>
> Mac1------|H|
> Mac2------|U|-- LINKSYS Router(?) --- DSL
> Linux Box-|B|
> </pre>

The above is correct except for the hub, there is none.  The cat-5 cables all go
directly
to the router.  There is one cable from the router to the DSL modem ( or adapter)

> Does your Linksys router (? Assuming it is a router) only use DHCP to hand
> out IP addresses to clients? Does it allow you to set static addresses
> too?

There are 3 choices for the router configuration; manual, DHCP, and BOOTP.
I have always used "manual" in the past.

> Are the static addresses in the same range as the DHCP assigned
> addresses or does their manual only allow static addresses to be outside a
> certain range?

Not using DHCP, so I assign the addresses
192.168.1.2   (mac #1)
192.168.1.3 ( mac#2)
192.168.1.4 ( linux box)

> Does the router implement rules to disallow any passing of
> packets from IP addresses that it does not have listed as having a DHCP
> lease? Do both of your macs get their address via DHCP/BootP or are they
> static assignments?

If static assignments are the same as manual, yes.