[NBLUG] The Seawolf bit me!

Kevin Jamieson derf at sonic.net
Sat May 5 12:49:54 PDT 2001

> However, as I said in my post yesterday, I downloaded the RPM for inetd that
> shipped with RH6.2 and everything then worked perfectly.  However, I am not
> aure whether or not I unknowingly have made myself vulnerable to attack.
> But given that I am the only one on the network who knows enough to possibly
> hack the computer, and the network is protected from outside attack by a
> firewall, am I still safe?

Well, it depends on the firewall, partly.  Also, I don't know what else is
on the network to give much of an assesment.  What ports you have open would
be a good place to start. If you've got an old windows box that has
BackOrifice on it running on port 80, well...... heh.

Generally speaking, I'd only use telnet to communicate with non-ssh equipped
devices like some networking gear or remote-login powerstrips.  There isn't
any other reason I can find to use telnet over ssh.

Also, if you want to try something other than scp, OpenSSH 2.5.2 has sftp
included now.  It works well, even with the commercial Windows sftp client.

Derf