[NBLUG] The Seawolf bit me!

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sat May 5 14:15:22 PDT 2001

} 2. My system no longer works as an FTP server, Telnet server, etc.  Whenever
} I try to get into it from anywhere on my LAN using anything except NFS or
} ssh, I get a "Connection refused" error.  Perhaps inetd is now messed up?

RedHat 7.1 has everything turned off by default for security.  It uses
xinetd instead of inetd.  Look in /etc/xinetd.d/ and you will see a file
for each service.  In each of these files is the following line:
        disable                 = yes
Comment out this line to turn on this service, then restart xinetd:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

There is no harm in using inetd instead of xinetd.  It is simpler, and
has fewer features, but if you intend to keep using RedHat then you will
need to get used to xinetd eventually.

They also configured sendmail to listen only on address 127.0.0.1.  You
have to edit /etc/sendmail.cf if you want to recieve mail from another
machine (it sends mail just fine).

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com