Linx Non-Technical: Movie "Schrek" and Linux

Jeff Basham jeff at jeffbasham.com
Tue May 22 14:49:39 PDT 2001

I have to agree with you on that one!
-Jeff

At 09:03 AM 05/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Whatever it used, it was totally funny; Myers is a great voice actor
>with a hilariously bent sense of humor!
>
>--
>Rafe Magnuson
>rmagnuson at onebox.com - email
>(707) 583-2064 x3064 - voicemail/fax
>www.digital-avatar2.com/members/rmagnuson/
>

>---- ME <dugan at passwall.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > You may have heard about a new movie called, "Schrek" that uses a great
> > deal of computer animation.
> >
> > According to a "zdnet" article you get the impression that Linux was
> > used
> > for a huge part of the movie.
> >
> > ( http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2761566,00.html )
> >
> > A later article on slashdot includes discussion by users stating that
> > it
> > was only the rendering that was done on Linux based systems while the
> > modeling was done on/with SGI? IRIX
> >
> > ( http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/19/0140242&mode=thread )
> >
> > (Included user followup quote from slashdot:)
> > -IRIX for modeling, Linux for rendering (Score:2)
> > -by green pizza (colin at imaginemail.com) on Saturday May 19, @01:20PM
> > EST (#103)
> > -(User #159161 Info) http://texan.org
> > Linux was only used for rendering. The initial modeling, effects, and
> > final compositing of the rendered material was done on SGI Octane
> > workstations running IRIX. Audio was done on a Windows NT Protools
> > setup.
> >
> > I saw it, and found it to be fun. It seems to be targeting the young
> > adult
> > to adult market more than the kids. Funny, entertaining, was worth
> > it for
> > me for non-matinee price. Most humor would probably not have kids lauging
> > too hard. People who have suffered through dating will find many more
> > scenes entertaining. Don't think of this as a happy Disney movie due
> > what happens to characters and certain circumstances. (This gives nothing
> > plot-wise away about the movie.) If Disney was to make this kind of
> > movie,
> > it would probably be released under "Touchstone" be made by Pixar,
> > and not
> > use the Disney label. (They learned this problem for labels from the
> > old
> > movie "Black Hole")
> >
> > I am not so sure it will make *lots* of money though. The Theater was
> > nearly empty for the 9:40m show. Of course it was playing on 4 screens
> > at
> > the "Pacific Cinemas Rohnert Park 16", so I could have it all wrong
> > with
> > this guess.
> >
> > (Another "big" movie that used linux for some of the special effects
> > was
> > Titanic. However, I think it was stated the Linux cluster was used
> > for the
> > wave generation for the oceanic special effects and not much more.)

> [...]

===================

Jeff Basham
jbasham at sonic.net

Fax: (248) 281-0491

PLEASE READ THE NOTICE BELOW:

The information contained in this email message is intended only for use
of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
notify me (jbasham at sonic.net), and destroy the original message. Thank you.