Can't backspace in vi-it's even weirder than I thought

linmail at itab.com linmail at itab.com
Sat Nov 3 08:21:36 PST 2001

On Saturday, November 3, 2001, at 06:52 AM, linmail at itab.com wrote:

> Logging into  a Red Hat 7.1 machine from either a Mac OS X machine or a
> FreeBSD machine the backspace key only produces a beep while editing a
> file with vi.
>
> Anybody know how to fix this?

Adding to my own message.

While editing a file with vi the delete (bakspace) key deletes
characters to the right of the cursor with out ever enter edit mode!

vi sometxtfile

arrow into the middle of an existing line, push backspace key and the
letters to the right of the cursor start getting eaten up.