Can't backspace in vi-it's even weirder than I thought

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:01:28 PST 2001

I don't know much about vi (I normally use pico instead; much frendlier),
but I have noticed that some terminal emulators can get confused about
certain keys that were not present on the ancient keyboards (ever seen the
keyboard on an Apple II+ ?).  Most of the time, this happens to me if I run
ssh in a GNOME Terminal.  Is there a CTRL-key equivalent to backspace
(perhaps CTRL-D)?