Can't backspace in vi

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Nov 5 09:26:00 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:18:25AM -0800, Christopher Wagner wrote:
}
} I also remember something about 'stty erase ^?' fixing the problem.  It's
} been a long time though, since I usually just modify the terminal prog.
}  Someone check me on that, please.

Yes you can try 'stty erase ^?'.  This tells the terminal or xterm you
are on that the ^?  is the backspace character instead of ^H.

Or you can try 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"'.  This tells the X
session to make the backspace key send ^H.  This assumes you are using a
"regular" PC keyboard on a linux machine.
"xev" shows the keycodes for the various keys on the keyboard.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com