Can't recompile the Red Hat 7.2 kernel (2.4.9-13)

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 23:17:04 PST 2001

I finished downloading Red Hat Linux 7.2, installed it on Friday, and got
all the errata on Saturday.  Since then, I've been poking around to see
what's different, and I found that VMWare doesn't work anymore.  I tried
reconfiguring it, and that failed because the kernel source in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13 didn't seem to match the running kernel.  So I tried
to recompile the kernel, and got this error message:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13/.hdepend:1862: *** missing separator.  Stop.

What the heck is that?!