linuxtoday cracked

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:16:29 PST 2001

On Tuesday at about 6:30pm, I received a Red Hat Network alert about an
overflowable buffer in wu-ftpd, and an available patch.  If linuxtoday was
using wu-ftpd, they could have been attacked using that vulnerability. (but
what would they use FTP for?)

I have a cron job on my home computer (RedHat 7.2) to download RHN updates
every Sunday at midnight, but if I were running linuxtoday or any other such
service, I'd be inclined to set up a similar cron job to run _every day_.  I
don't know much about other distributions, but I think that Debian's apt-get
can also do this.

By the way, Cyrus SASL also has a vulnerability that I heard about in
another RHN alert at 2:00pm this afternoon.