Beneficial talk

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Apr 1 17:21:34 PST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:01:54PM -0800, Brad Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:39:36PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:41:12PM -0800, Warren Raquel wrote:
> > } Since I'm relatively new to the area and the group I don't know if
> > } this topic has been covered before but I think that a great
> > } talk/discussion would be transitioning between Debian and RedHat and
> > } vice versa.  Just a thought.  What does everyone else think?
> >
> > Does anybody ever transition from Debian to Redhat?
>
> I can't see why anyone would.

Commercial support.

For instance, if you wanted an Oracle server running Linux.  You could buy a
box, install Debian and then try and figure out that whole Oracle thing
(non-trivial, and can certainly be done wrong easily enough by people that
do plenty of research) or you can buy a buy a box from Dell that's already
got RedHat and Oracle installed on it for you.  Or get a box from Compaq
with SuSE and Oracle installed.

> It is a bit better than rpm -qf, as you don't need the full path and
> you can use wildcard matching.  Eric sent an email out a while back
> that had a lot of rpm equivalents, let me know if you want a copy.

Actually, I've been dealing with the "Debian vs. RedHat" debate at work
lately...  Here's a "new" version of that list:

up2date --solvedeps=foo  # this has limited functionality
apt-get install foo

rpm -ihv foo.rpm
dpkg --install foo.deb   # I never use this, I use apt.

rpm -Uhv foo.rpm
dpkg --install foo.deb

rpm -e foo
apt-get remove foo       # or dpkg --remove foo

up2date
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

rpmfind foo
apt-cache search foo

apt-cache show foo

Upgrade RedHat: reboot with CD, then up2date
Upgrade Debian: vi /etc/apt/sources.list; apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

rpm -ql foo
dpkg --listfiles foo

rpm -qf /path/to/file
dpkg --search /path/to/file

Brad: if you'd like to work together on a Debian <-> RedHat presentation,
talk to me...  when I saw this post I was thinking maybe I could do one,
except that I won't be able to actually present until June.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell