Lastlog Question..

augie schwer at sonic.net
Thu Aug 15 05:58:38 PDT 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Christopher Wagner wrote:
# On one of my computers, my /var/log/lastlog is approaching 20 meg..  Is this
# normal?  Should this be part of normal log rotation?  What's the safest way
# to get this back to a reasonable size?  Thanks folks!

i just recently wanted to add a log to the regular rotation and found some
good examples in /etc/logrotate.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/ also the man
page for logrotate is realy helpful.

one note though, if your on a mandrake system the msec utility may go
through and change your permission settings. this is easy to fix, but a
little baffling at first.

-augie

--
"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."

registered linux user #229905
Key fingerprint = 9815 AE19 AFD1 1FE7 5DEE  2AC3 CB99 2784 27B0 C072
gpg public key: http://www.sonic.net/schwer/schwer.asc