NFS question..

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Sat Aug 24 01:38:55 PDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 08:15:58PM -0700, ME wrote:
> If you did not pre-obfuscate these, then a would be attacker has enough
> information to launch an attack. So far, the mailing list has not been
> archived to a web readable format, but I am sure that may change.

Ahem...  Ask and you shall be told you already had it...

http://nblug.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?command=monthbythread&list=talk

There are links for all three lists on the info page of the website
and an annoucement somewhere.

BTW, my two+ cents on the issue of NFS over dsl, presumably without an
encrypted channel of some means or another:
Do you really trust your DSL provider?

(Envision a typical sysadmin, shaking his head no.)

And for backups?

(Imagine your boss, asking for a file, that, for the purposes of this
exercise, is full of passwords.)

Also, can we shoot that Unixware box yet?  From what I have seen on
this list, it causes much more trouble than it would take to put
whatever it is running onto something better, like Linux, which might
make it a bit easier to set up a secure channel for UDP (I would
suggest VTun [vtun.sourceforge]).

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
Linux - Where do you want to fly today?
	-- Unknown source