AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat (fwd)

augie schwer at sonic.net
Sat Jan 19 18:48:46 PST 2002

personally i think the AOL/Red Hat deal (...or AOLinux as it may one day be
called) will be a good thing for the linux community if it happens. it will
draw more attention and developers over to linux. also if AOL/TW starts
throwin' around some money that would'nt be so bad either.

a plus could be more pressure on hardware vendors to supply support for
linux. (maybe winmodems will actually work under linux!)

i agree however that RH could get chewed up and spat out by the AOL/TW
machine. but the distrobution wouldn't have to die there, a group could
easily take the last non-AOL version and keep building off of that to keep it
alive.

ME wrote:
> If we could get more SSU CS majors over to our LUG, we might be able to
> have some more technical talks.

from what i've seen (being an ssu cs major) that's a long shot. most of the
people seem to be pretty windows entrenched. and most of the courses are
taught using either windows or macs. the faculty i think is fairly well
rounded, but the courses they teach usually push them to be more of the mac
or MS persuasion. although i have found them very accomidating when i want to
do my projects, and not use the OS everyone else in the class is using.

perhaps more installfests, and maybe get some of these announcements posted
on the cs website www.cs.sonoma.edu would help raise awareness, and maybe get
some more of my peers over to the nblug meetings. also the cs department has
a colloquium every semmester if the schedule isn't already filled maybe
someone could do some sort of a linux talk, or maybe just an open source
talk. i know i'd definantly find that intersting.

--augie