A mountain of old Macs

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Sat Jan 26 09:37:48 PST 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:53:02 -0800
"Lincoln Peters" <lincoln_peters at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't have a chance to _really_ look at those Macs, so I'm
not sure what
> specific models they were.  I do have a Macintosh SE that I
bought used for
> $5, and I might experiment with it over the weekend.
>
> Of course, it's only got a 720K 3.5" floppy drive and not
CD-ROM drive (the
> same is true for all the computers in that pile).  Is there
anything I need
> to know about burning 720K floppy images if I only have 1.44MB
disks and
> drives to burn them with?

Sorry, Lincoln, if you've got an original SE, it has a 68000
processor, which can't do Linux. But if it's an SE/30, you should
be OK. That one has a 68030.

I've got an old Apple external SCSI CD-ROM drive that you can
borrow if you want. It's probably only 2x, but it may save you
from having to mess with 720k floppies.

You'll probably need to put System 7.5.5 on those old machines
before playing around with Linux (or even if you aren't going to
do Linux). Apple lets you download it for free from their
Website.

A.