DSL and Linux questions...

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Jan 31 08:39:11 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:32:15PM -0800, Paul Stagnoli wrote:
} Greetings!
}
} I have decided to jump on the broadband wagon and get a DSL line from
} PacBell. Their website reports that the service is compatible with Linux,
} but Linux is not supported.
}
} My question is how hard is it to set-up DSL with PacBell and get Linux to
} talk to the DSL modem. Any ideas, war stories, etc?  Also is there another
} DSL provider you would suggest that is cheaper that covers this area?

Another vote for Sonic.net here.  It costs more, but you get more.  No
pppe stuff and a static IP address (or 4 addresses if you want, no extra
charge).  They don't "support" linux, but there are sonic.net newsgroups
that are very helpful and the sonic staff often answers questions there.
Speaking of newsgroups they have excellent newgroups feeds.

They sent me a letter before my install date with IP address,
nameservers, and the gateway address.  I had my linux firewall machine
all preconfigured and as soon as the Pac Bell installer was done I
plugged in the ethernet cable and I was on the air and NAT (IP
masquarading) was working.

The hardware firewall/NAT boxes are cheap easy and secure.  I use an old
60MHz Pentium box with linux for my firewall because I have my own
mail/web/ssh servers running.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com