NAT nightmare

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:05:08 PDT 2002

I'm trying to set up a Linux-based router for a friend.  I have a box
with Red Hat 7.3 and 2 NIC's (one for the LAN and one for a cable
modem), and I've ensured that the kernel (version 2.4.18-5) supports
all of the router options (except ipfwadm), but I can't make it work!
I have managed to make the router work as a DHCP server for the LAN,
and I can access the Internet from the router using lynx (that's what
I'm doing now to send this e-mail).  However, no matter what I try
with the firewall rules, I can't seem to make it forward anything!
All of the computers on the LAN can talk to each other, but they give
me a "Cannot find server" error when they try to access the Internet
(that's all they say; all these computers except the router are
running WinXP).

Does anyone know how I should be doing this?