Lilo, help please!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jul 14 16:06:33 PDT 2002

If you can ditch use of EZDrive geometry translation programs, it will
help make your life easier. If you must have it installed, then read
on...

Read this document in whole before trying it. (warning)

If you wish, you may try to uninstall LILO by using a command line root
shell (log in as root and start an xterm, or use a console tty) and from
that shell:
# lilo -u

and it will attept to restore your MBR back to what it was befopre (with
windows bein booted by default.)

I believe the EZDrive occupies the MBR and the default install of LILO
will overwrite or likely overwrote that. use of the above should restre
EZDrive back to allow windows to load.

Then before you leave linux land you will probably want to modify your
lilo.conf to make sure that lilo is installed in the primary partition
instead of the MBR.

(You should maike sure you have an Emergency boot disk handy if you cant
get back to Linux after all of these changes.)

(Found these to help address this on the web)
( http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9701.1/0112.html )
(and)
( http://archive.davin.ottawa.on.ca/linux-oclug/1998-10/msg00375.phtml )

It seems that lilo should be installed on the first partition set with the
"boot flag" - ideally, hda1 for an ide/atapi based disk. (I have not used
EZDrive with Lilo before; please be cautious.)

(more below)
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, cal herrmann wrote:
> I have tried to install Mandrake 8.1 in my wife's computer, older, win98.
> Lilo seems to flash past in an instant if I look close, booting Linux without
> a choice for windows. (Maybe it has made a wise choice, but my wife needs
> some things in windows! And do I also).
> Machine has two drives, all win on the first, second set to all linux.  Since
> it is older, it uses the "EZDrive program" to extend HD addressing (reassigns
> to 255 heads). 	I see:
> less /etc/lilo.conf

> boot=/dev/hda
---------------
#Assuming hda1 is your first primary dos partition with boot flag set...
# change to:
boot=/dev/hda1

This is based on the information from the above URL.

> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt

> lbu 32

#I thought the above was supposed to be:
lba32

> prompt

> timeout=50

# Change to:
timeout=100
# to give you 10 seconds at the LILO prompt. Change back later.
#  Number=decisecs

> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wbibw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> 	label=linux
> 	root=/dev/hdd1
> 	append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount"
> 	readonly
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> 	label=failsafe
> 	root=/dev/hdd1
> append="hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount failsafe"
> 	readonly

## Assuming /dev/hda1 is your windows partition...
# At this point, you can try adding:
other = /dev/hda1
	label = win
	table = /dev/hda

> I see a very good explanation of Lilo in the Linux Bible book, far
> beyond my understanding yet, I need advice, what to do next.
> Fearful!  Can I get the direction back to include the windows boot?
> Should I uninstall and start over? (Xwindows doesn't work, I haven't
> found the right driver, but linux seems to work fine as command-line).
> Thanks, Cal

After you have made all of the above changes, you can type at a root
shell:
# lilo

and it *should* install a new boot record at the beginning of your first
partition - /dev/hda1 in this example.

If lilo installs them all happily and without errors, you should be able
to reboot and when you see "LILO" press a shift key and then LILO should
change to LILO: and then you can let go of the shift key and press TAB to
see the list of boot options. "win" should be one of them. type "win" (not
double quotes) and pres return and if all goes well, you should see
windows start up. After windows starts up, from windows, choose to reboot
and then follow the same procedure above but let linux try to load.

You should probably consider backups before doing the above. The "lilo
-u" should get windows back, but if you have anything critical in LInux
land,, you may want to save before doing much more. When dealing with the
MBR, and partition data with tools like lilo and EZDrive, there is always
risk for data loss. Know your risks before you begin.

-ME