where to RTFM about disk errors

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Jul 19 12:43:49 PDT 2002

Good!!!  My improper assumption that you had 1k block size....  At least it
got your juices flowing...

 From the e2fsck manpage...

-b superblock
               Instead of using  the  normal  superblock,  use  an
               alternative  superblock  specified  by  superblock.
               This option  is  normally  used  when  the  primary
               superblock has been corrupted.  The location of the
               backup superblock is dependent on the  filesystem's
               blocksize.   For  filesystems with 1k blocksizes, a
               backup superblock can be found at block  8193;  for
               filesystems with 2k blocksizes, at block 16384; and
               for 4k blocksizes, at block 32768.

               Additional backup superblocks can be determined  by
               using  the  mke2fs  program  using the -n option to
               print out where the superblocks were created.   The
               -b  option  to mke2fs, which specifies blocksize of
               the filesystem must be specified in order  for  the
               superblock  locations  that  are  printed out to be
               accurate.