dsl, networking, paranoia

augie schwer at sonic.net
Mon Mar 4 19:28:06 PST 2002

what i'm most concerned about at this point is finding a way to secure a
wireless network. i've read that the WEP (wired equivalent privacy) that WiFi
uses is poor at best, and is vulnerable to anyone nearby, for large values of
"nearby". i've heard of people connecting to wireless networks from miles
away with a directional antenna. also the encryption used by WEP is reported
to be easy to crack with about 30mins of packet annalysis with airsnort.

i think wireless is really cool and convient, but im not willing to sacrifice
my security for that convience.

--augie