(Re-)learning NFS

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Mar 8 21:29:09 PST 2002

What do your hosts.allow and hosts.deny look like?

Do you use any kind of host name based filtering with the above?
(If so, add entries for hostname in /etc/hosts on the server with the
client's IP addresses.)

Also-
Sometimes if reverse DNS fails on a server (depends on the
server/config) the connection will fail. (Am not sure if this is the case
with the clients too, but would be good to remove from the picture on both
the client and server side.)

This can especially be a problem when using reserve range IP addresses on
some servers/clients, as the authority for the ranges of revsers lookup
(in-addr-arpa) will probably not exist unless you control a DNS that is
used for your lookups and have done somethingabout this. Use of /etc/hosts
for clients and server demanding reverse lookups often by-passes rDNS over
the network.

Do you have entries for the clients connecting on your server in
/etc/hosts by IP address with hostnames?

If covered, please ignore.

-ME