debian help

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sun Mar 10 23:12:19 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 07:44:57PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> I have a couple of .deb packages I got off some web pages.  When I do
> "apt-get install package-name.deb" it says it can't find the file.  How
> do I load a local package?  The man page isn't much help.

dpkg --install package-name.deb

> While I'm at it I need a good reference for how to use apt-get.
> Equivalent commands to rpm -q, rpm -ql, rpm -qf, etc.

dpkg --status
dpkg --get-selections
dpkg --listfiles
dpkg --search
dpkg --info

apt-cache show pkgname

However, I find that when using debian, I never manually download .deb
files...  Much more useful are:

apt-cache search pattern  # multiple if using woody or later
apt-cache show package-name
apt-get install package
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

That and learning to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to add stuff for interesting
projects...  Oh, and including 'APT::Get::Show-Upgraded "Yes";' in your apt
conf.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell