linux gateway and router = redundant?

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Fri Mar 15 16:32:28 PST 2002

What I see the general consensus being is that there are pros and cons to
each, I will summarize and answer your question directly at the bottom:

Standalone gateway/router:
1. Extra ports :)
2. Easy to set-up :)
3. Small foot-print :)
4. Questionable firewalling :(

Linux router/gateway:
1. Excellent firewalling (is better than standalone router/gateway) :)
2. Maximum configurability :)
3. No extra ports :(
4. Not so easy to configure :(

and effort to configure, but definitely the better choice for maximum
security.

A standalone will be a quick and efficient solution, and you get extra
ports, making a hub unneccessary for a small network.

Both would be redundant to some degree, but would provide LOTS of
protection, it would, however, add extra hops.  Not to mention, it might add
difficulties making sure your network works properly with the outside world.

If you don't need to use the Linksys and want lots of security, use the
Linux box for a router/gateway.  If you bought the Linksys, and can't return
it, use the Linksys and don't bother with the Linux box.  A Linux box
however, if configured properly, would provide better protection.

I hope my long-winded reply helps you! :)

- Christopher Wagner
chrisw at pacaids.com

Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
P.O. Box 9144
San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
http://www.pacaids.com/
(415) 454-4868 x116