What the heck is a bus error?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 23:16:49 PST 2002

The client (code-named "Firewalker"), Isildur, and the server (Palantir) are
all running kernel 2.4.9 with any necessary customizations (on Isildur, the
stock RH kernel; on Palantir, the NFS server is compiled straight into the
kernel; on Firewalker, built-in 3Com ethernet driver, DHCP support, and NFS
client).  The only exception is that Firewalker's kernel modules under
/lib/modules/2.4.9-31 does not excatly match the kernel it's running, but I
should still be able to get Firewalker in a usable enough state to update
the modules.

Could it have to do with CPU optimizations?  The Firewalker kernel is
compiled for a Pentium/MMX system, but it's running on a Pentium III.  But
shouldn't that still work?  Should I re-compile it for a Pentium III?  (I
was hoping to use this netbooting system on some Pentium II machines running
Windows 98, but I can worry about them later.)