What the heck is a bus error?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sat Mar 23 18:02:55 PST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> This made me curious, "how much of /sbin *is* static binaries?"
>
> # ldd /sbin/* | grep --before-context=1 "not a dynamic executable"
>
> I'm running Debian woody with a few bits from sid.  Not even vaguely a
> stripped down box.
>
> The only thing that came back that wasn't a shell script is /sbin/ldconfig
>
> I checked in /bin, too; just more shell scripts.
>
> (Though I did notice that /bin/x10 doesn't belong in /bin, since it requires
> /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 to run -- bug report emailed off to Debian)
>
> (For those that don't know, ldconfig is the program that sets up all those
> symlinks so that the right library gets loaded.  It can't be dynamically
> linked because it sets up what programs get dynamically linked to.  It
> typically gets run when you install new libraries and it doesn't stay around
> in memory)
>
> I suppose if you installed one of those shells designed for going onto a
> rescue disk that would have been in the list, too.
>
> Okay, for those of you that want to check yourself, or that just like seeing
> overly long command-lines:
> for dir in /sbin /bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin/X11 /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin ; do for file in `ldd $dir/* 2>/dev/null | grep --before-context=1 "not a dynamic executable" | grep $dir | cut --delimiter=: --fields=1`; do file $file; done; done | egrep -v "Bourne shell script text executable|Bourne-Again shell script text executable|symbolic link to |text executable|ASCII text"
>
> (all it found was /sbin/ldconfig and a "shell archive or script for antique
> kernel text")

Wow! I verified your findings on Debian stable, as well as a a true woody
(no sid) and found the same results. Now I need to go back through the
distros I have used to find out the last ones that had mostly static bins
in /sbin. (Also found even /bin/sh is dyn linked.)

Appologies on me being wrong with this. I was using old information and
never bothered to re-check it. :-/

-ME