GPG keys and removable media

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Nov 14 15:02:59 PST 2002

augie said:
> on the note of gpg keys. anyone have a script, or method, for updating
> keys on my keyring on a regular basis. that is the public keys i have on
> my keyring need updating periodically as they get signed by others, or
> updated in some way.
>
> ME, i think you had something? care to share?

NO! it is mine! *ALLLLLL* MINE!

Seriously, it is built into gpg; I just use cron to automate it:

/path/to/gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --refresh-keys

Will run through your list of keys and update them with the server so that
you get the latest trust additions and revocations in your "web of trust"
based on who you trust, signs your keys, signs othr's keys, and the hops
between the known and unknown.

If you only have 1-2 sigs and keys loaded (not counting yours) maybe
update once per week. As you get more sigs and possible changes, you can
up it to say 24 hours or...