ze4101 issues with linux

John Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 16 21:27:46 PST 2002

ME wrote:

>This is the issue I wrote about before with the PCMCIA-CS. It is possible
>that we may have an installfest in Jan or Feb. If this problem persists,
>and you are willing to wait, and I am at the installfest, I would be
>willing to work through thi with you.

I will show up in January or February if the issue has not been resolved.

My confidence that HP will start linux telephone help anytime soon is
between slim and none.

>To "fix" support for the other HP that crashed when pcmcia-cs started, I
>needed to build a custom kernel, and specify resources for the pcmcia-cs
>to probe/use on startup.
>
>It may require installation of windows to check for some resources if
>lspci does not provide specific enough data and the HP whitepapers/specs
>are not descrptive enough.

Arrrgh! Windows!

>Once we have the resources used by the pcmcia-cs on your laptop known, we
>may be able to get it  to work better.
>
>Also, I assume youhave consulted the linux laptop homepage to see if
>anyone has your same model with solutions...

I have seen a discussion page on the HP site of Pavilion ze4101 users,
and that is where I actually got the "nopcmcia" parameter to pass to the
kernel during installation.

For some reason, pcmcia issues don't seem to appear after completing
installation of RH 7.3.....
The (possibly related?)issue of the machine check then comes up which is
solved by adding the
"nomce" parameter to the boot prompt on every startup after installation.

>http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

This appears to be a good site for most laptop issues.  Apparently the
HP pavilion ze4101
is still a little too recent to make an appearance there.  Some issues
are turning up on a Google search when hp ze4101 is used as a searchkey.

John