makeing a debian package for a cluster setup

Eric Eisenhart ee at eric.eisenhart.name
Tue Nov 26 19:11:55 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 05:29:18PM -0800, error wrote:
> The basic goal of this package is to install a ton of other packages as
> dependents of the package.
>
> So my goal is to be able to do:
>
> apt-get install accrc-cluster
>
> Then have it ask if I want to install a bunch of other dependencys.

So, basically, you want a package with a large number of dependencies and
not much else to it?

I haven't yet built any debian package other than some kernels (make-kpkg
did all the work).

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

For your project you can skip the bits about how to get into the Debian
project and go down to actual package building tips and links.

Totally alternate strategy: look at an example:
apt-get source java-virtual-machine-dummy
cd java-virtual-machine-dummy-*
dpkg-buildpackage

Except you can poke around in that directory and figure out what you can
change to make it do what you want.  I think you'd mostly just need to
change the names of things a lot and, in debian/control add entries to the
"Depends" line.

> I also want it to have a bunch of config files copied to various places
> given certian parameters are correct.

So you might want to have some actual files in the package?

There's various other debian packages and tools to look at: make, cvs,
cvs-buildpackage, apt-build, build-essential, dpkg-dev,
debian-reference-en...

> I guess I am really looking for a good way (as in HOW-TO) to build .deb
> files.

You probably also need to learn to put together a repository so apt (and
dselect) have a place to grab your packages from.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life