Zaurus feedback

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue Nov 26 21:16:52 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:26:57PM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> Have any of you current Zaurus owners ever found the SL-5500
> lacking in any way? If I bought one now, might I soon find myself
> wishing that I had waited for the new model, which will have
> twice the speed, memory, and battery life of the SL-5500?

I don't find it lacking in the way of speed and RAM.  With OZ, you can
choose how to split up it's 64MB of RAM between storage and working RAM.
With the Sharp ROM, it's split up 32/32, with OZ you could even go 64/0
and use the SD or CF cards for storage.  Personally, I rarely ran into
issues with Sharps 32/32, but then I generally don't have multiple apps
open at once.

Now as for battery life... That's the one thing I'd like to see an
improvement on.  It's not like a Palm where you can use it off and on
all day for weeks at a time.  You can easily run the Z down with a few
hours hard usage, or a days worth of medium/light usage.

For $249, the 5500 would be hard to beat.  Depending upon how much more
$$ it is, the 5600 may not be enough of an improvement.  Though, if
you have the spare cash, more RAM and cycles are always welcome :)

Now, this baby (or rather its eventual N. American counterpart) would
sure be worth waiting for: (I don't think Bill will mind my linking to
his Z pics)
http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/newzaurus/

-t