Missing crontab

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Nov 27 23:31:11 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:14:20PM -0800, Robert Hayes wrote:
> OK,
>
> I don't get it here. My cron file is percolating along just fine just as it
> always has. I know because I moved the machine into my bedroom from my office
> (don't ask) and it wakes me up every morning at 5:15 thrashing and gnashing
> away as it downloads my mail. I KNOW the cron file is working.
>
> But I can't find it.

The crontabs generally live in /var/spool/cron.  You might check for the
existence of one for your username.  Is it possible the cron job to get
your mail is in /etc/crontab ?

> I wanted to add something to it, I'm logged in as myself, I enter
> crontab -e
> and get back: file not found, opening blank file.

What happens when you save it?  Does your next crontab -e invocation get
you the saved file to edit?

Also see crontab -l

-ta