Red Hat 8.0 Box Set Freebie

minnigerode minniger at minnigerode.org
Tue Oct 15 09:05:00 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 08:55, augie wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 07:41:49AM -0700, Bryce Hardy wrote:
> > Well I went to CompUSA and picked up the new RH 8.0 box just to try it out,
> > since the buzz about it was interesting. Without letting this devolve into a
> > SuSEr's snub of RH, suffice it to say I'm back in non-tampered KDE land now
> > with a new fresh-install of SuSE.
>
> i've heard pieces of this story, but never the whole deal. so what is
> it exactly that red hat is doing?
>
>  -augie

They have created a new theme called Bluecurve for both gnome and
kde.  Now that in and of itself wouldn't bother most. But they have
also normalized the "start" menu and the toolbar between the
two.  Mozilla is now Web Browser.  Evolution is now Email. etc.
To the unexperienced eye there is little difference between the
two desktop environments. Or between them and windows.

This has really annoyed some people.

On the other hand if I we're looking to deploy linux in an office
setting I would think that this is a very welcome development.

I've installed it on a laptop and they have made the default gnome
nice enough that I suspect I would no longer bother installing Ximian on
my work machines.

dave