NBLUG Mandrake mirror report

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Thu Sep 26 09:52:07 PDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 04:45:29AM -0700, root wrote:
> Starting rsync for Mandrake/Mandrake
> Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:09:10 -0700
[snip]
> @ERROR: max connections (10) reached - try again later

Well, I guess that all depends on where we're mirroring from...  Also, we
only have 2.1GB available on the partition mirroring goes on, so something
has to go.  The mirroring for mandrake is rsync based and says "get
everything except what I'm excluding", meaning that new versions should
automatically get mirrored.

And, for that matter, RedHat 8.0 apparently comes out Monday and we'll also
be attempting to mirror that 5CD distro...

So, it's safe to assume that RedHat is 3.0-3.2GB, which may need to be
doubled for iso and distro; what size is the new Mandrake?  To fit the new
redhat, i'd have to figure out where to drop 1 to 5 GB of space out of the
mirrors.  The raw distro and the isos typically have some differences, but I
could drop mirroring the raw distro and simulate it with some loopback
mounting and lots of symlinks...

Any suggestions on what to drop?  I'm inclined to drop Ximian outright, all
RedHat updates other than 6.2, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.x, and
kernel.org/linux/kernel/people.  Maybe restrict the kernel mirroring down to
2.4 and 2.5 (and any 2.6 or 3.0 that happens to come along later).
(dropping 2.0 and 2.2, as well as dropping testing, ports, crypto, Historic,
etc.)  That'd free up 3 to 4GB of space...

[root at nblug.org mirror]# du -m | sort -rn | head : (edited)
25675   .
8661    ./redhat
5773    ./debian
5361    ./redhat/updates
4214    ./kernel.org
3299    ./redhat/7.3
3220    ./mandrake
2490    ./Ximian
1841    ./mandrake/Mandrake/8.2
1771    ./redhat/7.3/en/iso
1703    ./mandrake/Mandrake/8.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
1529    ./redhat/7.3/en/os/i386
1514    ./kernel.org/linux/kernel/people
1506    ./redhat/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat
1379    ./mandrake/Mandrake/updates
1317    ./CPAN
1174    ./redhat/updates/6.2

df -m : (edited)
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1                28180     25791      2102  92% /title
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244