[NBLUG/talk] Soundblaster Audigy & Mandrake 9.1

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Apr 2 08:54:01 PST 2003

I goofed. ;)

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:44:03AM -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> # (stop artsd -- in Redhat, one would use something like "service arts stop"
>  -- not sure what one would do in Mandrake.)

Just run "killall artsd" -- you shouldn't have to be root.  See below as to
why.

> $ cat /etc/profile > /dev/sound/dsp
>

> Does it give you an error?  If so, what?  (If audio is working, it should
> give you a short burst of noise.)

I goofed.  That'll learn me not to look at _all_ the files...

$ grep arts proc.txt
badogg    2908  0.4  1.4 11156 5664 ?        S    20:30   0:00
/usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f

So, it's running as you, probably started when you started X.  If you want
to use arts, you probably have some command that came with the system,
perhaps "artsplay" or something like that.  Try typing this on the
command line:

$ arts<tab><tab>

Hopefully that will list arts commands.  You could also try "man artsd" and
look at the list of related commands near the bottom of the web page.

If that doesn't work, I'll download the thing and see how the system works
(if someone else doesn't beat me too it ;).

 -Scott