[NBLUG/talk] Soundblaster Audigy & Mandrake 9.1

Ron Balch badogg at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 2 19:55:01 PST 2003

Ok all.  Here is where I am at this point.  I am able
to get SOME sound right now.  What this means is this:

1) I have Klipsch Promedia 5.1 surround speakers
connected to my Audigy and when I play an mp3 from
XMMS, I only get sound from my 2 front, center and
subwoofer speakers.

2) If I play a CD from KSCD the sound is considerably
lower than when playing through XMMS.

Here is what I did, from all of the great help I got
from everyone.

I tried to remove the entry in my /etc/modules.conf to
remove what looks like is the SBLive driver, but it
would still load it upon bootup (does this mean that
the kernel is starting it?).  Then I went to the
"start" menu/Configuration/Control Center (not the
Mandrake Control Center) and chose the sound/sound
system item in the tree.  I unchecked the box that
said "Start aRts Soundserver on KDE startup".  I think
that the one that did it was the "aRts" option being
unchecked.

I truly hope this helps everyone that is having
problems with the Audigy card.  If anyone has any
helpful info on getting all of my channels working and
improving the sound quality please share.

Thank you much...

Ron