[NBLUG/talk] slashdotting

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Fri Apr 18 12:16:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:45:07AM -0700, error wrote:
> So if you were about to be slashdotted, what would you do to your
> webserver?

In addition to the great ideas already presented, I'd suggest on the server end
(if it's apache, for instance, and you can change these things) to tweak your
server settings for greater performance.  Others on here might have better tips
along these lines, but things such as having more services waiting in the wings
for connections will help.

Also, again if you have control of the server, try to reduce the number of other
services on the machine, particularly ones that use lots of RAM, so that apache
will have enough.  Some slashdottings have to do with the machines running out
of RAM, and some have to do with running out of bandwidth, both are things you
can control to a point, though.  Like these guys said, reduce/remove all images,
make pages static, etc.  If it were me, the single most important thing would be
the upload bandwidth getting hammered (home DSL connection here), so I would do
whatever I could to reduce the size of everything related to the pages being
/.-ed.

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org