[NBLUG/talk] A new colo box (with interesting ideas)

Julian Plamann julian at abbey.ox.cx
Tue Apr 22 11:53:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 11:17, error wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I am working on setting up a new server to replace my old one hosted
> in southern california.
>
> I have chosen unitedcolo.com, the price is right and the location of the
> cage isn't bad.

Just for reference, I had a server at UnitedColo a few months ago and
back then they were horrible (availability-wise) in both network
reliability and support. Their "24/7 support" at the time consisted of
an answering machine running all night in their cage.

The box locked up at one point requiring a manual reboot and it took UCG
over 9 hours to accomplish this as they wouldn't answer phones, emails,
or fax. Their customer support motto, if you are able to get ahold pf
them and complain about service has essentially been "Don't like our
service? Fine. You're free to cancel anytime -- we don't need you as a
customer anyway. Click."

I've heard their network has been better lately, but at the time daily
extended outages were common.

Sorry this doesn't help with your original question, but I figured I
might as well pass along the info.

   --Julian

--
Julian Plamann             |   Email: <julian at abbey.ox.cx>
OX.CX Public System        |   Key ID: <0xCC019D52>