[NBLUG/talk] network problems (local)

Glen Gunsalus g-gunsalus at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 29 14:01:01 PDT 2003

I'm looking to get 2 ethernet cards running on subnets 192.168.1 and
192.168.2 with eventual aim to doing routing/filtering between the two.

But before I get that far I can't telnet into this box since upgrading
it to RH 7.3 from 7.0.

Ok, machine 1 (the box in question):
RH7.3 vanilla install
- IP 192.168.1.10
ethernet card configured ok

I can ping machine 2 (running RH6.2 - IP 192.168.1.21) on 192.168.1 subnet

I can telnet to machine 2 from machine 1 ok.

Can't telnet from 2 to 1, I get "connection refused"

I've played with hosts.allow/hosts.deny to no avail
Even with no deny or allow rules in effect I can't connect.

I have no firewall rules (as far as I know)

# /sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Ok, where do I look now?  Something in the 2.3 kernel I have to tweak?

More info needed?

Thanks for any pointers/help.