[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Aug 4 08:25:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:54:08AM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> If I bring up the Gnome Terminal ("gnome-terminal") and I am root, all
> is well: I get the root prompt.  However, if I am not root, the terminal
> window comes up without the prompt.

Do you mean that when you're not root and run the terminal, it comes up
without any prompt, or that it comes up with something different than the
root prompt?  Does a terminal window appear at all?

What Linux distribution are you using?
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore