[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Mon Aug 4 10:10:04 PDT 2003

That's a very interesting theory, though I'm not sure why it would work
for root and not for the normal uwer (root's environment uses fewer
colors I suppose).

Here's another theory.  Non-superuser applications are failing to
properly allocate ptys, probably becuase of a permission issue in /dev.

As root.. do the following and see if your output is equivilent:
[root at calisto root]# ls -ld /dev /dev/ptmx
drwx--x--x   15 root     root        90112 Jul  8 06:50 /dev/
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       5,   2 Aug  4 10:03 /dev/ptmx
    { If /dev/ptmx isn't globally readable/writable, then non-root
      applications can't applocate new pseudoterminals, which would
      cause just this sort of problem.  If /dev/ isn't executable,
      then that too would prevent access to /dev/ptmx, but that
      would be causing a LOT of weirdness, so I doubt that is the
      problem. }

[root at calisto root]# ls -l /dev/pts
total 0
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   0 Jul 17 23:52 0
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   1 Aug  1 15:48 1
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,  10 Aug  2 23:24 10
crw--w----    1 mrp      tty      136,  11 Aug  4 10:04 11
crw-------    1 mrp      users    136,   2 Jul 29 23:53 2
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   3 Aug  3 00:17 3
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   4 Aug  3 23:24 4
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   5 Jul 22 18:27 5
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   6 Aug  3 00:07 6
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   7 Jul 29 22:44 7
crw--w----    1 mrp      users    136,   8 Aug  3 19:59 8
crw--w----    1 mrp      tty      136,   9 Aug  3 19:44 9
   { there should be one entry in this directory for every pseudoterminal
     you have open and comparing the output before and after you launch
the
     prompt-less terminal. }

    -- Mitch